About Me

A dream I once thought was just a fantasy suddenly became a possibility. Travelling around the world? Really? Just this once I am going to do something so extraodinary that will forever change my life. I don't know why it is happening but I will understand it when I finished it. That I promise.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

UK City Hopping

Saturday, July 17, 2010 – Monday, July 19, 2010 (Manchester, UK)

At my next destination after Cardiff, I realized that Manchester was a great place for shopping, dining out and its nightlife. However, for historical or cultural significance, Manchester paled in comparison with other cities in the UK. Despite the Manchester United Mega Store in Old Trafford, there wasn’t anything that I would consider a must see in Manchester.

Exodus Festival at Albert Square, Manchester, UK
Ferris Wheel, Manchester, UK
Manchester United Stadium in Old Trafford, Manchester, UK
Eventhough I wasn't too keen on the city, I did spend three days there because I was a bit tired of moving around so much. I used the time to catch up on administrative and planning activities. Thus, the Hilton Chambers Hatters Hostel TV lounge became my home and as a result, a breeding ground for new friendships.
There was Stefan (Vienna), currently on vacation, enjoying life and was the main driving force for Karaoke; Anne (Finland), a musicology major from York, befriended a homeless man at the Sunday morning church service in Manchester and brought me to meet him that night at the Evening Song service; Pablo (Argentina), who had been travelling for three years, was thrilled to finally replace his laptop since his last one was stolen at a New Zealand hostel two years ago; Ana (Toronto), a high school history teacher, spent her last few summers travelling through Europe before visiting her relatives in Italy; and Sam (Hong Kong), the proud father who brought his whole family to the UK to attend his eldest son’s graduation at York, invited me to join them for a home cooked family dinner (curry chicken) at the hostel kitchen simply because I spoke Cantonese.
Needless to say, that was the beauty of travelling. My Manchester experience was definitely memorable after all.
Karaoke at Siam Orchid, Manchester, UK

Curry chicken dinner, Manchester, UK
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 – Wednesday, July 21, 2010 (Liverpool, UK)

I said hello to Liverpool after saying goodbye to Manchester but help... the weather was not cooperative at all. It rained so hard that my Magical Mystery Tour was spent mostly on the bus. But when the whole bus load came together and began singing in unison, I knew there was nowhere man that I want to be and I could do this 8 days a week. During the tour, I learned more about John, Paul, George and Ringo than I ever thought I needed for Final Jeopardy. The Cavern Club where the Beatles began was a great finale to a hard day's night.


Rain cloud over Liverpool, UK


Chinatown, Liverpool, UK


Magical Mystery Tour, Liverpool, UK


Cavern Club, Liverpool, UK

Back at the Hatters Liverpool hostel, my newest friend and roommate Emma (New Zealand) told me that she resigned from the banking industry and had been travelling around the world for a few months now. Deja vu?? My jaws just dropped and I was speechless. So over supper (we found this great English pub with a full meal and an ale for less than five quids), we chatted over the Basel Accord, foreign exchange rate and the economy…. can it be eerier?


Sausage & Mash and a pint of ale at the Crown Pub for 4.80.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 (York, UK)

Originally, I planned on checking out the infamous Blackpool resort town but Anne from Finland highly recommended York so I changed my plan. It turned out to be a great choice because the Roman walled city of York was quite amazing. The weather had turned on the chilly side so I was able to use some of my long sleeves items. Given I didn’t have a lot of time in the city, I booked myself a Secrets of York walking tour and learned a lot about the hidden treasure of the city.

The walled city of York, UK

Back at the Ace York Hotel hostel, a beautifully restored mansion, I performed my good deed for the day by introducing/connecting four different people to each other, all from different parts of Australia, including Bronwyn (Sydney), Jessie (Brisbane), Bart (Melbourne) and Annabelle (Perth). Both Bronwyn and Jessie were working in Vietnam and Thailand respectively. Bart was near the end of his European trip with tales of running with the bulls in Pamplona and Annabelle was just starting out her trip in UK.


Ace York Hotel Hostel

So the Aussies and I found ourselves sharing stories over the Thursday night sausage (I had wild boar with pear) and ale special at the Old White Swan. Although we got heavier by the end of the night, our pockets got lighter as we all got rid of the thousands of coins we had. The server was pleased with that I am sure.


Final bill at the Old White Swan

As I continue my UK city hopping (off to Glasgow, Scotland next), I found myself learning a lot about the past and future of those places and sharing a lot of my past and future with the people I met along the way. I think my real journey has just begun.

1 my friend Graz's apartment in Glasgow
2 I plan on exploring Glasgow the city centre
3 All Day Breakfast Sandwich at the picnic table while touring the highlands today
4 I did notice that Canada raised its overnight rate by 25 basis points, so I guess I do miss work!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan!

    Reading your blog sure brings back memories! sure sounds like you are missing work and the routine life ; )
    Looking at your schedule you should be in Edinburgh today - if so and if you have time take one of the nightly ghost walks that go in the under ground tunnels but beware it may keep you up tonight!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete