About Me

A dream I once thought was just a fantasy suddenly became a possibility. Travelling around the world? Really? Just this once I am going to do something so extraodinary that will forever change my life. I don't know why it is happening but I will understand it when I finished it. That I promise.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Farnham and Beyond

Monday, July 11, 2010

At the London Waterloo train station, I purchased my ticket for Farnham, about an hour west, to visit my friend Kay for the next few days. Always preferred self-serve, I quickly purchased the ticket and off I went, only by luck I did a last minute check to find that instead of a ticket to Farnham, I had a ticket to Fareham!! Could it be so cruel that they would have 2 towns with names differ by a single letter? Yes indeed!! So with only minutes to spare, I had to go to the operator line and get it all straightened out. Needless to say, an excellent start to my first European train travel experience.

I arrived at Farnham right on time and met Kay at the station. Farnham is a town of 37,000 just on the edge of Surrey. Farnham Castle overlooks the downtown core comprised of the usual shops and pubs. Nearby towns such as Elstead, Godalming, Hartney Wintney, and Aldershot all have their own spin of what living in every day British life is like.


Farnham Castle


Godalming


Military Town of Aldershot
Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Further west in Wiltshire, about an hour away from Farnham, we drove through rain to get a glimpse of the famous big rock formation commonly known as Stonehenge. After a quick survey of how it works, visitors were confined to a path around the site and could not actually go up to the rocks. With the miserable rain falling down, I opted to skip admission and just took pictures from the fence.



After a quick lunch back at Farnham, we set out for an adventure on a steam train from Alton to Alresford on the Watercress Line in Hampshire. I saw picturesque English countryside and many surprises as we stopped and explored the train stops.
Diesel Train Going Out
A Rare Find in Alresford

Steam Train Coming Back
Compartment in the Steam Train
The visit ended with us relaxing and watching the 25th anniversary of Live Aid and lots of Bob Geldof on the telly. I was actually amazed at the behind the scene stories of the event.

All in all, with the great hospitality of my local friend Kay, I saw things that I would never be able to see on a tour or venture out on my own. How fortunate was that?!?

1 On the First Great Western train from Reading Train Station on Thursday, July 15, 2010
2 Cardiff Wales in less than half an hour
3 Toast with jam at Kay’s house this morning
4 I am slowly forgetting what I am supposed to comment about…. ;o)

5 comments:

  1. Bah, Blogspot ate my first attempt at a comment.

    Did you get to see the Magna Carta at the Salsbury Cathedral? I seem to recall that I saw that on the same trip as the one I went out to see Stonehenge. It's well worth a trip to go see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't. I remember reading something about it but totally forgot to look it up. Next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "on the telly" ... you're starting to sound more British in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pic of stonehenge from the fence, did you really take the 3rd one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I took all those pictures through the fence. Not bad eh! ;o)

    ReplyDelete