About Me

A dream I once thought was just a fantasy suddenly became a possibility. Travelling around the world? Really? Just this once I am going to do something so extraodinary that will forever change my life. I don't know why it is happening but I will understand it when I finished it. That I promise.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rain Water or Bath Water

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Having lost Catherine Zeta Jones’ phone number, I visited the only other Welsh landmark I knew, Cardiff. After a quick orientation, I tasted my first potato jacket (with curry chicken) at the Cardiff Market before my guided tour of the Cardiff Castle. The most fascinating part of the castle was the children’s room, with every well-known fairy tale, nursery rhyme, and children folk story graphically illustrated on the walls.


Robin Hood in the Children's Room

The Keep of the Cardiff Castle

Flags of Nations at the Cardiff Castle

After a few hours, I learned that walking, living, and breathing rain was just part of the UK experience. Mists, showers, downpours and occasional sunshine were taking their turns throughout the day, making walking around a pain.

The scene at the hostel was quite different than the one in London, as the open concept bar / front desk / lounge / pool table / internet cafĂ© attracted all hostellers and walk-ins to congregate (cheap pints didn’t hurt either). There was Tom from Belgium, currently volunteering in Cardiff; Karen and Henry from Canton and Taiwan, recent communication graduates currently working in London; Charlie from not sure where but his wife left him that day so he felt the need to be at a hostel because they met at a hostel in New Zealand (yeah, I cut that conversation really short and moved on); Fizzy and Ieuan, filmmakers currently teaching at the University in Cardiff, but was told to stay out a little later because their 19 year daughter was celebrating her graduation with friends at home. Fun times.

Friday, July 16, 2010

The next morning I went on a day trip to Bath, England. Unfortunately for Cardiff, the sun was out when I got off the train so Bath had a greater first impression already. The Roman Bath, one of the World Heritage Sites, was definitely worth the hundreds of pictures that I snapped within the two hours span and juggling with the damn audio guide handset. After the tour, I sat in the beautiful plaza outside the Bath and the Abbey with my Pret-a-Manger sandwich (old cheddar club) and listening to the beautiful acoustic guitar music. That was one of those moments.


Roman Bath

Roman Bath Plaza facing Bath Abbey

A quick walk to the Royal Crescent for a photo opportunity and then I decided to head back to Cardiff for some much needed laundry time. Plus, the rain had started.


Royal Crescent

1 First Great Western train from Cardiff to Manchester
2 Manchester, UK
3 Toasts and coffee at the hostel this morning
4 I am slowly forgetting what I am supposed to comment about….

2 comments:

  1. Do you have photos of train? What are they like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean the UK Rail trains? They are very similar to VIA Rail, nice comfortable seats. You can reserve ones with a table in between too.

    ReplyDelete