About Me

A dream I once thought was just a fantasy suddenly became a possibility. Travelling around the world? Really? Just this once I am going to do something so extraodinary that will forever change my life. I don't know why it is happening but I will understand it when I finished it. That I promise.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

AWWW SLOW Down


August 8, 2010

As much as I wanted to plan ahead, certain things were just not possible. For example, I had no problem booking rail tickets intra-country, but inter-country was nearly impossible as each domestic rail system didn’t talk to one another on-line. Clearly I was spoiled when I was just travelling in the UK.

So by the time I arrived in Oslo on August 5, I started to get the hang of this travelling the world thing. My general routine was quite simple:
1 arrive at the destination central station in the early afternoon
2 orient myself with the central station layout (ticket office, tourism office, ATM, information board, platforms/gates, washrooms, etc) as I will need this on departure date
3 at the ticket office, check the next train/bus schedule and any special deals to my next destination, also notice the hour of operations for the ticket office (international ticket booth often has shorter hours than domestic)
4 pick up a city map and other touristy information from the tourism office
5 withdraw local currency from ATM or exchange money at Forex (I try not to leave the central station until 1-5 are complete)
6 find hostel/hotel using city map and check in
7 at the hostel/hotel, use internet/wifi to book the next hostel/hotel at my next destination, using info gathered from #3
8 if possible to do this online, use internet/wifi to book the train/bus ticket as well using info from #3
9 if not available, go back to the central station and book it in person (I try not to start sightseeing portion until 7-9 are complete)
10 sightseeing start – pick a cafĂ© / park bench / nice relaxing area to people watch while study the info gathered from #4 and decide how to optimize the limited sightseeing time knowing I can’t see and do everything
11 before I depart for my next destination, send the hostel/hotel contact information to my family and also update my Foreign Affairs Canada account

At Oslo, I had no trouble withdrawing NOK from the Nordea ATM. However, I had some problem with trying to plan my next destination. I could head west to Bergen but would have to backtrack; or head east to Stockholm instead and continue my journey. By the time I got the scheduling info I needed from the ticket office, it started pouring rain non-stop for almost an hour. Finally at the hostel; I confirmed on the internet that Bergen was not meant to be as not only it was nearly impossible to get there; but every hostel/hotel was also fully booked for the next few weeks. I also looked into Norway in a Nutshell tour (google it) as recommended by the Aussie dorm mate I met at DanHostel Copenhagen but that also turned out empty with next available spot not until at least two weeks later. So I booked myself a 6 hour bus ticket to Stockholm (I normally preferred the train but it was too expensive for this leg).

With my next destination confirmed, I was able to enjoy my stay in Oslo much more. I got myself an Oslo Pass with unlimited access to public transportation, museums, and many discounts on tours. Once again, I tried to maximize everything I needed to see and do within the 24 hour limit of my pass. I went to the Edward Munch museum which was awesome. I also took the ferry over to the island and visited several nautical themed museums there, including the Viking Ship museum (Vikings Kipshuset), the Kontiki Ra museum, and the Fram museum.

2010 08 06 - our tour guide explaining the many changes of Edvard Munch through his art

2010 08 06 - Oslo Palace
2010 08 06 - An original Viking ship in the Vikings Kipshuset
2010 08 06 - the Fram
Next I went to Vigeland park and witnessed the most amazing sculptured park in the world, with many of Vigeland’s masterpieces strategically placed at the park, free for everyone to enjoy. It was definitely one of the highlight of Oslo.
2010 08 06 - Vigeland Park
2010 08 06 - One of the many sculptures by Vigeland

The next morning, I went to the Holkommen Ski Tower to truly experience the height and anxiety of a ski jumper. I thought I would peed my pants just looking down the ski track, let alone ski down it! I finished off Oslo with a Fjord Cruise.

2010 08 07 - Holkommen Ski Tower

2010 08 07 - Oslo fjords cruise - many houses along the fjords

One of the memorable moments of Oslo had to do with my dorm mates. Paul was living in the hostel for quite sometime. He was a Brit who worked as a street performer / busker. He was a juggler, a contortionist, and a fire entertainer. I actually came across his act outside a Burger King. Later, back at the hostel, he acted as my banker as well, exchanging his collected SEK with my remaining NOK. He was so generous that he gave me all the coins as extract..... sweet!!! It was the best deal I made!!!

2010 08 07 - Paul, my dorm mate, performing his routine in downtown Olso

1. On the bus ride to Stockholm
2. Stockholm, Sweden
3. I think I took pictures of every meal for this leg....
4. Bergen for sure, and also the Norway in a Nutshell tour.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Dan, I'm so impressed. You're your own awesome travel agent.

    ReplyDelete