About Me

A dream I once thought was just a fantasy suddenly became a possibility. Travelling around the world? Really? Just this once I am going to do something so extraodinary that will forever change my life. I don't know why it is happening but I will understand it when I finished it. That I promise.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Go Go Goteborg

August 5, 2010

After the price shock of Copenhagen, Goteborg, Sweden appeared less threatening for sure. I arrived on August 3 by train. Although I did have problem with finding a place to stay near downtown because the FINA World Championship (Swimming/Diving) was happening that week so I ended up at someone’s converted shed/garage in the suburb of Torp.
2010 08 03 - Goteborg, Sweden - Eklanda Private Rooms

To be honest, Goteborg wasn’t really a must see for me, but based on my CAA world map, it was a good pit stop toward my next destination, Oslo. I also tried not to land in a strange city too late in the evening so Goteborg lucked out with my presence!!

The only problem was that none of the ATMs in Sweden accepted my bank debit card (I later did read that in my guide book about the Swedish ATM system not compatible with North American debit cards). So I was forced to take SEK out using my VISA card (but I immediately went online later that day to pay that off because we all know the high rate for cash advances using your credit card – or maybe you don’t but now you do!!). Yes, how I wish these Scandinavian countries would soon adopt the Euro and save the tourists the hassle of having all these different krona/kroner/kroon!!! I still have some DKK from Copenhagen left over (that was a bad mental calculation on my part)!

The town was actually quite pleasant and modern. Because there weren’t any must see for me, it was a refreshing relaxing change as I didn’t rush from one tourist attraction to another, checking off this self imposed mental grocery list. The highlight was actually finding this very avant garde Museum of World Culture outside of the city centre (free admission to boost) with an exhibit on travelling and tourism (HA!) called Destination X, talk about art imitating life! It turned out that I was a borderline Pathological Traveller!
2010 08 04 - Goteborg, Sweden

2010 08 04 - Goteborg, Sweden - Wheel of Goteborg
2010 08 04 - Goteborg, Sweden - Museum of World Culture
2010 08 04 - Goteborg, Sweden - Museum of World Culture

Another bonus was that my self contained converted shed/garage accommodation had a little kitchenette so I actually got some grocery and cooked a little pasta dinner for a change. In addition, I was even able to hand wash and hang my laundry up and not having to rely on a washer/dryer facility in the hostel environment. So I guess a little pit stop wasn’t bad for the soul.

1 On the bus leaving Goteborg
2 Oslo, Norway
3 Quick breakfast this morning in Goteborg with deli meat and orange juice
4 I saw everything I needed in Goteborg, so nothing I needed to go back to for sure

No comments:

Post a Comment