About Me

A dream I once thought was just a fantasy suddenly became a possibility. Travelling around the world? Really? Just this once I am going to do something so extraodinary that will forever change my life. I don't know why it is happening but I will understand it when I finished it. That I promise.

Monday, September 27, 2010

I'll Always Have Paris

August 21, 2010

While awaiting for the flight from Riga to Paris, I found another LIDO restaurant (really cheap cafeteria style eatery that serves traditional Latvian cuisine) at the airport. With a few Latvian Krona in my pocket, I pointed to a chicken skewer that would use up every coin. As the server scooped up the skewer onto my plate, I suddenly realized that my math was off and I was 5 cents short. Horrified at the thought of abandoning the chicken, I asked this lady in line for money. Yes folks, I am officially a beggar!!! The lady was quite nice and joked that it could happen to anyone before going through her change purse for 5 shiny copper coins. The chicken did taste fantastic though.

2010 08 19 - Riga Airport - the Lido Restaurant

The flight landed in CDG airport on time and with Neomi's direction in hand, I got on the RER B and arrived in Paris again. This was the city where I had my first taste of Europe exactly 10 years ago and I fell in love with it all over again. The Gobelins area where I was staying had a great neighbourhood feel, with plenty of cafes, patisseries, bistros, and bars beneath apartments and residences.

2010 08 19 - Paris, France - my hotel in the Gobelins area


2010 08 19 - Paris, France - my room

I walked towards the Quartier Latin, partly to explore it again and partly to see if I could find the pub where I had a great time with my friends Gerry and Karine years before. Like everything else pre-digital camera, my memory was sketchy and could not find the pub. The Quartier Latin looked very different than what I could remember. Instead, I found a great bistro in St. Germaine and enjoyed my Chardonnay with beef, grilled tomatoes, potatoes and beans.
It was a really early supper by Paris' standards.

2010 08 19 - Paris, France - dinner at a bistro in St. Germaine

With plenty of daylight left, I walked through the Jardin de Luxemburg and found so many people just relaxing on the many chairs available for public use or just lying on the grass. Nearby, I jealously eyed the people on the public tennis courts serving, volleying, slicing and laughing. Despite having no tennis gears, I was secretly hoping that someone would come and ask me to sub in. Oh how I miss thee!!


2010 08 19 - Paris, France - people relaxing in the Jardin de Luxemburg


2010 08 19 - Paris, France - the Senate in the Jardin de Luxemburg

The following morning I got up early because the first of three free walking tours began at 10 a.m. at the Opera. It woultd take about an hour to walk over, passing thru the Quartier Latin, crossing the Seine and by the Notre Dame, and cutting through the Louvre. Everywhere I looked was a great photo moment and I just barely made it to the tour as Bernard began his speech.

2010 08 20 - Paris, France - the three free walking tours


2010 08 20 - Paris, France - walking thru the Louvre in the early hours

We learned about the Opera, the sewers and the phantom that haunted there. He then took us through alley streets into the Edouard VII area. To our surprise, the alley streets were being turned into a movie set of Paris in the 30’s for Martin Scorcese’s next film. We next walked through the most expensive address in the city, Place Vendome, where notables such as Chanel and Dior must have their presence there. After walking through the Jardin des Tuileries, we ended the tour at Place de la Concord next to the Obelisk and the Champs Elysees.

2010 08 20 - Paris, France - the crew working on the set for Scorcese's next film


2010 08 20 - Paris, France - walking thru Edouard VII's quarter

From there, Jolene, her mom (both from Malaysia) and I (yes, others have the same intent) rushed to the metro to get back to Notre Dame for the 2nd free walking tour at noon. We had minutes to spare and unfortunately could not wait for the free automated toilette (it took almost about 30 extra seconds each time someone finish using it to self clean everything, including flooding the floor, before another person can get in). Luckily, the 2nd walking tour on Notre Dame was a bit shorter as we learned about the history and architecture of the famed cathedral.

2010 08 20 - Paris, France - one of the many beautiful carvings on the Notre Dame Cathedral

After the 2nd tour, I grabbed a sandwich before the last tour on the Quartier Latin was to begin. This time I really had to go and who did I find waiting in line already at the automated toilet? Jolene and her mom! We had a good laugh at this, but mainly to distract our bladder needs while waiting for each automated self cleaning process. We conspired about how we could perhaps cheat the system and skip the in between cleaning, but in the end, we were too afraid to risk receiving a full body wash inside the machine.

Once Jolene and her mom finished their business and got out, they rushed to the next meeting point as the toilette door slowly closed to do its self cleaning one last time before my turn. They promised to delay the free tour as much as they could until I caught up. By this time I really had to go and the 30 seconds seemed like hours. Finally, the door opened and I stepped in, frantically pressing the door close button so that I could enjoy this moment in private. It was a painful process both physically and mentally. For a brief moment, I even missed the public restroom with the dirty floor and the single trough!!

Jolene and her mom were able to employ their delay tactics and I found the tour group in the Notre Dame plaza heading towards the Quartier Latin. We learned more about the quarter but I still did not find the pub I was looking for. We also walked through the famed Sorbonne, the oldest university in Paris with many notable alumnae, including Jacqueline Kennedy. We ended the tour at the great Pantheon.


2010 08 20 - Paris, France - Jolene and I at the Pantheon

Jolene, her mom and I were completely exhausted by this time. We all had very little time in Paris so we decided to meet up later again at the Eiffel Tower and the Champs Elysees at night. With a quick shower, a snack and a rest, we met up again and watched the Eiffel Tower slowly lit up from dusk to evening. I didn’t know how many shots I took but there just wasn’t a bad angle with this Paris icon. Once we got to the Arc de Triomphe, we walked down the Champs Elysees and finished the night at La Doree (the macarone was awesome). I got back to my hotel just before 11 and went out for dinner, this time, in accordance to a true Parisien style.
2010 08 20 - Paris, France - shoppers (mostly Asians!!) line up for LV at the flagship shop on the Champs Elysees


2010 08 20 - Paris, France - the most beautiful moment when the Tour Eiffel lit up


2010 08 20 - Paris, France - the Arc de Triomphe at night

The next morning I had 3 hours to visit Sacre Coeur and Pigalle (I’ve been to both before but always loved them) so I took the funicular this time and got up to once again a beautiful view at Montmartre. The cafes and stalls were just starting to open and it was as magical as I remembered it. I wish I had more time to have a coffee and a beignet before heading back down. The Moulin Rouge was as seedy as I remembered it as well, but I thought it was a closer walk. Hopping back on the metro, I picked up my bags at the hotel, checked out and headed to Gare Austerlitz to head down to the heart of France to visit my friend Karine.
2010 08 21 - Paris, France - the beautiful Basilique de Sacre Coeur


2010 08 21 - Paris, France - the panaramic view from the Sacre Coeur


2010 08 21 - Paris, France - morning at Montmartre


2010 08 21 - Paris, France - Montmartre wakes up with the Sacre Coeur in the background


2010 08 21 - Paris, France - the famed Moulin Rouge

1. On the train to Limoges, France
2. St. Leonard de Noblat, France
3. The baked goodies I bought at the patisserie....
4. There are just so many places in Paris and surrounding to come back to, and many other places worth a second and third visit.

3 comments:

  1. I was in Paris about the same time you were and also joined 2 of the 3 free walking tours and my sister and I enjoyed it tremendously. It was a simple treat in getting acquainted with the city. It was also of great fun and good company. After the tour, we were ready to face the city on our own. Thanks for the posts. Looking forward to reading the rest of your travels.

    ReplyDelete