About Me

A dream I once thought was just a fantasy suddenly became a possibility. Travelling around the world? Really? Just this once I am going to do something so extraodinary that will forever change my life. I don't know why it is happening but I will understand it when I finished it. That I promise.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Lyon Sleeps Tonight

September 1, 2010

When I asked what I should see in Lyon, most answered "you mean what you should eat in Lyon?". With many Michelin rated top restaurants, most agreed that I should spend my money on food there. Well, twist my arm!

Limoges and Lyon looked really close on the map, but apparently there were some hills or mountains in the way that made the train ride longer than I anticipated. I arrived a much later in the afternoon, so I didn't venture too far and found a nice restaurant near my hostel for my first night there.

The place was really quaint, a traditional French bistro. The server was too good of a salesman to convince me to have a semi bottle instead of just a glass (I tried to resist but to no avail). I ordered the set menu and chose the turrine, the sausage with pancakes, and the rum cake (they had fancier names but I forgot to take a picture of the menu). When the food came, I thought I died and gone to heaven. Everything was so good.

At one point during dinner, I kept hearing this squeaking sound and I thought I just had a little too much wine. After several more incidents, I spotted it! The two couples across from me in the restaurant had a little dog under their table. I guess in France it was not a health violation. Afterward, I literally rolled back to the hostel and had a good sleep that night.

The next day I ventured out to check out the sights. There were a few surprises that I didn't know about. The best part was taking the funicular up to the Basilique Notre Dame de Fourviere. Then there were the remains of these Roman Amphitheatres that felt a bit out of place. Place Bellecour was just a big empty square, but the huge Only Lyon sign sure made my photo more interesting.

I spent some time checking out the commercial side as well, and actually went into a shopping mall and bought a new mini-mouse (my old one died). All in all, Lyon was a nice surprise.

1. On the train leaving Lyon
2. Geneva, Switzerland
3. I took pictures of everything I ate in Lyon
4. I would go back to try the famed Nord, Sud, Ouest and Est restaurants. I actually found (stumbled upon) two of the four.

No comments:

Post a Comment